Friday, August 21, 2009

Driving Lesson


There are two different "Thank You" waves in the driving world. One you should use frequently, the other you should avoid (at all costs).


The bad driving wave. I'm talking about the bird, being told you're #1, the long one, the F-you finger, the middle finger. Raise your hand if you have ever received this finger while driving. Now, look around at everyone who has his or her hand raised, these are your fellow pompouses.
Yup, because in order to get that finger you probably did something completely deserving of it, like cut someone off, I'm almost certain you cut someone off. If I am wrong, please tell me, in a comment cause I like those, I like to know that people are reading and I'm not just talking to myself, but the online me.

Now, raise your hand if you have ever been the one who gave someone the finger. Now, everyone, look around and those with their hand in the air, these are your fellow self absorbed ass jockeys.
Yup, because in order to give the finger you are probably completely self involved. You might also be that driver you speeds up, so that the driver (you know the one who just cut you off anyway?) couldn't merge over because you were afraid of gaining an extra 10 seconds of you life and now you can't beat your record of fast time home in rush hour traffic.

So what are you? Tell me! I am a pompous ass jockey, because I am guilty of both. Although, usually the person trying to pass me, is an idiot because they are not going to "go faster" than me, they only THINK they are. Sometimes I let them over, sometimes I know that they are only going to slow me down, and if they just realize that by cutting me off they are not gaining any time but costing me time then my life would be easier.

Lately, I have been trying to give up on fighting it and my constant need to be in front of all traffic (because to be everything is a competition) and let people over. The first time I did this, a few weeks ago, I saw that a man had on his blinker, and several cars in front of me were gassing it and tail gating the car in front of him or her in an attempt to not loose any time from letting this vehicle over. I saw this and thought those inconsiderate jerks, he has his blinker on, has for some time, and he just needs to get over... I slowed and motioned to the man in the vehicle that he could indeed merge over.

Then, to my uttermost shock, he waved! OH MY GOD! People still have manors in this world! He actually waved, to say THANK YOU! He made me want to let someone else over into my lane, so I did! Guess what? Another wave! This time from a woman. It made me smile. THEN, and only then, did I realize that the only reason I DON'T want to let me over is because they would take it for granted and wouldn't appreciate it.

Today's lesson: Show some gratitude while driving. If someone assists you in while driving, gives you want you want, or is just a good driver. Say thank you, wave or give them some other gesture.
Just make sure it isn't this one:
If this stick figure can do it, so can you!

HAPPY FRIDAY! Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

3 comments:

  1. Love it...my next post will be about the bird. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally guilty of being a self absorbed ass jockey on the road. I need to chill out and not be so on edge on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. King - You will have to send me the link to that post!

    Twenty - At least you can admit that you're an ass jockey! lol... I'm trying to cool, baby steps.

    ReplyDelete